Belfast Telegraph

Inquest: pills overdose man did not mean to die

A software engineer who died after swallowing 120 painkillers with booze did not intend to kill himself, a Coroner has said.

Paul Harper (39) was flown from Belfast to the liver unit in Kings College Hospital in London in a desperate bid to save his life, but he died there on August 7.

Three weeks earlier Mr Harper had told his sister Donna Smylie that he had been "feeling down", Southwark Coroner's Court heard.

On August 6 he told her he had taken 100 Paracetamol tablets and 20 Ibuprofen tablets with vodka and beer. Ms Smylie said her brother said he had "run up £5,000 of gambling debts".

Mr Harper, of Glenveagh Drive, Belfast, was flown to London but he died of multiple organ failure.

Recording a narrative verdict, Coroner Belinda Cheney said: "I can't find beyond reasonable doubt that this man meant to take his own life. It does not appear he intended to take his own life."

The cause of death was given as multiple organ failure/hepatic necrosis/paracetamol overdose.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph