Irish League star weeps as he is accused of rapes
Published 15/03/2013 | 04:20
An Irish League footballer has appeared in court accused of rape.
Alvin Rouse, who plays in goals for Fermanagh side Ballinamallard United, is also charged with sexual assault and unlawful imprisonment.
The 33-year-old is from Barbados and has been capped by his country.
Rouse, with an address at Old Armagh Road in Monaghan, faces seven charges linked to the incident. He is charged with three counts of rape, two of sexual assault, one of false imprisonment and one of causing a person to engage in a sexual act.
They are alleged to have occurred in the Cookstown area on April 29 last year.
Appearing at Strabane Magistrates Court yesterday, Rouse wept as he was granted bail on two cash sureties totalling £10,000.
His club manager, Whitey Anderson, said he would lodge money on behalf of Rouse.
The accused will appear again at Dungannon Magistrates Court on April 10.
Rouse has been an ever-present for Ballinamallard this season. The team have performed above expectations after being promoted to the Premier League for the first time in their history.
Between 1999 and 2003 he played for Barbados Defence Force SC before signing for League of Ireland side Sligo Rovers in 2004.
He left Rovers the following year and played for several other clubs including Macclesfield Town, Flixton, Monaghan United and Galway United. In January 2009 Rouse was signed by Irish League side Dungannon Swifts, but his time at the club was overshadowed by allegations that he was the victim of racist abuse by opposition fans.
He was allegedly abused by some Ballymena United fans, leading to the club being fined by the Irish Football Association.
Ballymena appealed the fine, but the appeal was rejected.
At the end of the 2009/10 season Rouse returned to Barbados.
He came back to Ireland the following January to play for Longford Town, but left at the end of 2011.
In June 2012 Rouse made a surprise return to the Irish League, signing a contract with newly-promoted Ballinamallard.
In a statement, Ballinamallard United said it was aware of legal proceedings involving one of its players. However, it added that it would be making no further statements on the matter until the case was over.