Belfast Telegraph

James Nesbitt's hair steals the show Ballon d'Or as Lionel Messi picks up top award

It's one of the most important sporting events of the year - but the Fifa Ballon d'Or 2015 awards were this year overshadowed by Northern Ireland actor James Nesbitt's hair.

The 50-year-old television and film star was co-hosting the coveted Fifa Ballon d'Or awards in Zurich.

It saw Barcelona and Argentina forward Lionel Messi crowned as world player of the year fending off fellow finalists Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar Jr.

<< Lionel Messi wins Fifa's Ballon d'Or for record fifth time >>

Speaking ahead of the ceremony Nesbitt said he would be the most star struck there.

"You've got Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar... then there's me, who used to play for Broughshane Boys' Brigade," said Nesbitt, who admits to being "as surprised as anyone else" he was asked to co-host one of the biggest nights in world football.

Nesbitt admitted: "I'm excited enough when I get to meet players involved with my hometown club of Coleraine."

But despite the huge names in the competition - it was the Northern Ireland actor who was the hot topic online.

Social media users were quick to draw attention to his noticeably fuller head of hair compared to that of his appearance on the Graham Norton show last week where it appeared to be dramatically different.

And before that at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Awards held in Belfast.

SHOWBIZ Nor__2.jpg
James Nesbitt during the filming of the Graham Norton Show at The London Studios, south London. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Thursday January 7, 2016. Photo credit should read: PA Images on behalf of So TV

The star previously revealed his fears of losing his hair and has undergone treatment to enhance it.

However it wasn't just the Northern Ireland actor drawing attention as there was plenty of sporting style being showcased at the awards with Ballon d'Or finalist Neymar leading the way with a striking hat.

 

ARP4361037.jpg
FC Barcelona and Brazils forward Neymar laughs on stage during the 2015 FIFA Ballon d'Or award ceremony at the Kongresshaus in Zurich on January 11, 2016. AFP PHOTO / OLIVIER MORINOLIVIER MORIN/AFP/Getty Images

And although the actor had been warned against asking for autographs when surrounded by the football stars, he took his opportunity on stage to pose with Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar among others for a selfie.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph