Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

King William monument to go on display at Orange museum

By John Mulgrew

Published 01/08/2016

Past Worshipful Master of Boyne Obelisk LOL 1690, Gordon McKinley, with the Boyne obelisk stones
Past Worshipful Master of Boyne Obelisk LOL 1690, Gordon McKinley, with the Boyne obelisk stones

Part of a monument built to commemorate King William's victory at the Battle of the Boyne has been put on permanent display in Belfast.

Three granite stones from the Boyne obelisk, built in 1736, have been donated to the Museum of Orange Heritage in Belfast.

The monument, which stood on the grassy slopes of the Boyne River, was destroyed in an explosion in May 1923.

The officers and members of the Boyne Obelisk LOL 1690 have donated the stones to the museum.

The stones were formally dedicated during a short service, led by Assistant Grand Master and Grand Chaplain, Rev Mervyn Gibson. Worshipful master of Boyne Obelisk LOL 1690, Jim Wilson, said: "We are delighted to donate these original stones to the Museum of Orange Heritage, and in so doing ensure another piece of our history is preserved for posterity.

"The stones once formed a small part of the large obelisk which stood 174ft high at the Boyne as a memorial to the battle and the fallen.

"It was, for a time, the largest structure of its kind in Europe. All that remains today is the base and a few scattered stones of the obelisk."

The Belfast museum, which opened last year, displays a variety of items and artefacts relating to Orange history across the world.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph