Belfast Telegraph

Leisure centre evacuated after sauna fire

A leisure centre in Co Antrim has been badly damaged after a fire in a sauna.

Dozens of people had to be evacuated from the Joey Dunlop Centre in Ballymoney after the blaze broke out just after 5pm yesterday.

At the height of the incident around 30 firefighters battled to bring the flames under control.

Charlie McAuley, an NIFRS station commander in the area, said substantial fire damage had been caused to the centre’s fitness suite.

“The first calls about a fire at the Joey Dunlop Centre came at about 5.10pm yesterday,” he said.

Mr McAuley added: “Substantial damage was caused to the sauna.”

It is understood the cause of the blaze was accidental.

At the same time four appliances were called to deal with a fire in derelict sheds at the rear of commercial premises on Ballymoney’s Main Street.

It is understood this blaze was confined to a 10ft by 10ft shed. One fire officer said: “It looked worse than it actually was.”

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph