Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Londonderry alerts: Nothing untoward found

Published 06/12/2015

Police at the scene of a security alert in Londonderry on Saturday evening. Pic:Trevor McBride.
Police at the scene of a security alert in Londonderry on Saturday evening. Pic:Trevor McBride.

A security alert has ended after a bomb threat was made during an Apprentice Boys parade.

The railway station in Londonderry had been evacuated and closed yesterday following reports that a suspicious object had been left in the area.

Other parts of the city's Waterside were also cordoned off and shut down in the alert, with examinations continuing into today at Quarry Steps at Spencer Road.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland said searches were conducted in the area and nothing untoward was found.

Area Commander, Chief Inspector Tony Callaghan, said: "Our priority throughout this operation was to keep people safe.

"We appreciate the support of local people as we worked to establish the substance of the claims and I would like to thank members of the public for their patience and co-operation during this operation."

Mr Callaghan urged local people to remain vigilant.

The security cordon was in place along the route of yesterday's Apprentice Boys parade which involved about 1,500 marchers and 30 bands.

Online Editors

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph