Man (45) rushed to hospital following attack outside a taxi office in Bangor
A man is being treated in hospital for a serious head injury after he was attacked outside a taxi office in Bangor.
The incident took place at around 1.40am on Sunday.
The 45-year-old man had been standing outside a taxi office when he was assaulted. He was taken to hospital for treatment for a serious head injury.
The PSNI has issued an appeal for any witnesses to come forward.
Detective Sergeant James Johnston is appealing for anyone who witnessed the assault or anyone with any information that can assist with the investigation to contact Detectives in Bangor on 101.
The attack has been condemned by local politicians.
DUP North Down Assembly candidate Alex Easton led the condemnation.
"I would first utterly condemn this cowardly attack and call on anyone with any information to come forward to the PSNI to help with their enquires," he said.
"This is a cowardly act and there are no reasons or justifications for anyone to assault an individual in this way, this type of incidents could seriously hurt someone or worse and it is not wanted in our society.
"I am hoping the Bangor CCTV will have captured the incident and help catch those responsible and bring them before the courts."
Alliance North Down Assembly candidate Stephen Farry said Bangor residents will be shocked to hear of this attack.
"People will be shocked to hear about this vicious assault,” said Mr Farry.
"It was a brutal attack and I condemn it utterly. I hope the man makes a full and swift recovery.
"I would urge anyone with information about it to contact police immediately."
Belfast Telegraph Digital