Man accused of assaulting partner is denied bail
This is the Londoner who has been refused bail after he was accused of assaulting his partner.
Belfast Magistrates' Court heard that Kelvin Minton (39) was initially arrested for assaulting the woman.
However, she made further accusations of being assaulted over the past three months.
Minton, originally from London but now with an address on Woodcot Avenue in east Belfast, faces five charges.
They include one of grievous bodily harm, three of common assault and the theft of £20.
All the charges are alleged to have happened on dates between June 1 and September 30 this year.
A PSNI officer told the court he believed he could connect Minton to the charges.
The officer added that police were objecting to bail as the defendant's sister had offered to buy him a flight back to England so police were concerned that he would abscond.
Defence solicitor Norman Shannon told the hearing there had been difficulties in the relationship between the accused and his partner since they and their children moved to Belfast a few months ago.
However, he added that an argument arose on Friday when his client allegedly overheard his partner "bad mouthing" him to her sister.
"He denies all the charges," said Mr Shannon.
The lawyer also told the court that, according to his instructions, all Minton did was to take his parents' mobile phone from her and turn it off.
District Judge Ken Nixon said that while the lawyer had made a "strong application" for bail, he was refusing to release Minton but ordered him to appear via videolink this coming Monday.