Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Man accused of destroying UDA chief John Borland murder probe car has bail refused

Published 13/10/2016

Senior paramilitary John Boreland was murdered with a shotgun outside his north Belfast home (PSNI/PA)
Senior paramilitary John Boreland was murdered with a shotgun outside his north Belfast home (PSNI/PA)
Police at scene of John Boreland’s murder
Flowers at the scene in Sunningdale Gardens, where top UDA figure John Boreland was shot dead on Sunday night
Boreland hours before he was shot
The funeral of John Boreland.
Andre Shoukhri was among the mourners
John Boreland and Andre Shoukri

A man accused of destroying a car sought by detectives investigating the murder of a former loyalist paramilitary boss must remain in custody, a judge ruled on Thursday.

Thomas O'Hara was refused bail on a charge connected to the probe into the shooting of ex-Ulster Defence Association brigadier John Boreland in north Belfast.

Rejecting the 29-year-old's application to be released, a judge at the city's Magistrates Court cited the risk of further offences and possible interference with witnesses.

O'Hara, from Brownhill Drive in Kilbirnie, north Ayrshire, is one of three men charged with perverting the course of justice in connection with the killing.

Darren McAllister, 34, from Carrs Glen Park, and Thomas Pearson, 61, of Cliftondene Park, both in Belfast, are accused of the same offence.

Boreland, 46, was gunned down at Sunningdale Gardens as he walked to his flat on August 7.

The UDA leader's killers struck minutes after he left his local bar. He died at the scene.

O'Hara, McAllister and Pearson are accused of destroying a silver Renault Megane sought by police in connection with the murder on a date between August 6-11.

All three appeared at court today by prison video-link for an update on the case.

Only O'Hara mounted a bid to secure bail, basing his application on his status as a family man living in Scotland with two children.

However, District Judge Ken Nixon refused to let him out of jail, the Courts Service confirmed.

All three defendants were remanded in custody to appear again on November 10. ends

Read More


From Belfast Telegraph