Belfast Telegraph

Man accused of knifing loyalist disrupts hearing

A man accused of stabbing a senior loyalist outside a packed supermarket in north Belfast has made a full and frank admission to his role in the incident, a court has heard.

David Madine (40), who is charged with the attempted murder of leading UVF figure Harry Stockman, has also asked for his apologies to be passed to customers and staff for the “unsavoury and violent” scene at the Tesco store on Ballygomartin Road, his lawyer told Belfast Magistrates Court.

Madine, from Innishargie Gardens in Bangor, shouted and swore from the dock during his brief appearance, branding 50-year-old Mr Stockman a “f****** tout”. He is accused of repeatedly stabbing the loyalist at the supermarket in front of stunned shoppers around 4.30pm on Wednesday afternoon.

Mr Stockman is in a stable condition in hospital after undergoing emergency surgery.

With a heavy police presence, Madine smiled and acknowledged supporters in the public gallery as he was led from the cells into the dock.

Applying for bail, his lawyer, Denis Moloney, told District Judge Fiona Bagnall that the incident was not premeditated.

“He did make it abundantly clear there was nothing premeditated, this was a chance encounter,” he said.

But a senior police officer expressed strong objections to bail, arguing there was a serious risk to the safety of both the defendant and his family.

“The injured party would be, it's fair to say, a prominent senior loyalist within the Shankill Road area,” said the policeman.

At this point Madine, sporting short dark hair and a goatee beard and wearing a blue T-shirt which exposed heavily tattooed arms, shouted from the dock: “He's a f****** tout, that's what he is.”

Judge Bagnall ordered him to be quiet and said if he continued to disrupt proceedings he would be taken back to the cells and the hearing would continue in his absence.

Madine again responded: “What are you going to give me? Another 20 days?”

The officer said he feared there would also be a risk to public safety if the defendant was bailed, and revealed a number of people had already moved from the Shankill in the wake of the attack. Earlier the accused had interrupted his own lawyer to correct the pronunciation of his name.

Mr Moloney told the court his client also wanted to say sorry to those who witnessed the incident.

But Judge Bagnall refused to grant bail and remanded Madine in custody to appear again on May 19.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph