Belfast Telegraph

Man accused of rape cannot be named as 'under death threat'

A man charged with raping a woman in Belfast cannot be identified because he is under death threat, a judge ordered today.

The 35-year-old suspect is accused of carrying out a sex attack on the alleged victim last Saturday.

He appeared before Belfast Magistrates' Court to face one count of rape.

A detective involved in the investigation said he could connect him with the alleged offence.

Although bail was not sought, a defence lawyer applied for reporting restrictions to stop his client being named.

Michael Boyd said a death threat had been received which police were taking seriously.

District Judge Fiona Bagnall pointed out that it was a high test to grant anonymity to defendants.

But on the basis of a "real and immediate threat" to the accused, even though he remains in custody, she banned publication of the accused's name and address.

He was remanded in custody to appear again by video-link in two weeks time.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph