Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Man denies murdering his infant daughter

By John Cassidy

Published 27/02/2016

A father charged with murdering his three-month-old daughter yesterday pleaded not guilty.

Standing in the dock of Belfast Crown Court, Christopher O'Neill, of Whiterock Road in the west of the city, denied killing Caragh Walsh in February 2014.

The 25-year-old was initially charged with causing grievous bodily harm, but that was upgraded to manslaughter after his daughter died.

The charge was changed to murder in July last year after the prosecution ordered a new post-mortem examination into the little girl's death.

Defence barrister Barry Gibson told Belfast Crown Court yesterday that the case "turned on the evidence of medical experts as to the cause of death".

He told Mr Justice Treacy that he would have four medical reports for the trial, along with a further four medical reports from the prosecution.

The judge fixed the date for O'Neill's trial, which is expected to last two weeks, for April 18.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph