Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Man due in court charged with stabbing outside supermarket

By Allan Preston

Published 04/02/2016

A man has been charged after a stabbing outside a supermarket in Co Down on Tuesday night
A man has been charged after a stabbing outside a supermarket in Co Down on Tuesday night

A man has been charged after a stabbing outside a supermarket in Co Down on Tuesday night.

The victim was stabbed five times but is now in a stable condition.

He was attacked near the Tesco store on the Castlewellan Road in Newcastle at 7.35pm. Paramedics were called and the victim was taken for treatment at Belfast's Royal Victoria Hospital.

Last night, police said they have charged a 53-year-old man with grievous bodily harm with intent, threats to kill and possessing an offensive weapon. He is due to appear at Downpatrick Magistrates Court tomorrow.

Police said the charges will be reviewed by the PPS.

Sinn Fein Councillor Willie Clarke, who knows the man well, said locals had been deeply shaken by the violent attack. He said that as the supermarket is such a busy area he was concerned others may have witnessed and been traumatised by the brutal assault.

Mr Clarke did not name the victim but said he is in his 40s with children. He said the man had visited the supermarket before he was assaulted, and a local man had been arrested by police.

It's understood the victim's family are by his bedside in the Royal Victoria Hospital.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph