Man facing trial over murders is denied bail
A former stonemason from Co Down who is facing trial for the murders of two of his girlfriends has been denied bail.
Leslie Ross (67) is charged with murdering mother-of-four Michelle Bickerstaff (47) on April 21, 2012 and 50-year old Margaret Weise on August 31, 2007.
The pensioner, from Meganlis Park in Dromore, denies both charges, and applied for bail yesterday at Belfast Crown Court.
Prosecuting barrister Michael Chambers said the Crown was objecting to bail for a number of reasons, including an issue with the proposed bail address and a concern Ross may abscond.
Mr Chambers acknowledged that while Ross has been in custody awaiting trial "for a considerable period", he told Mr Justice Weir that a previous bail application made on behalf of the pensioner had been refused. Mr Justice Weir refused to grant Ross bail and remanded him back in custody. The double murder trial is due to commence at Armagh Crown Court on September 15.