Belfast Telegraph

Man guilty of burning down three shop units

By John Cassidy

A Belfast man has admitted burning down three shops in a complex owned by the Housing Executive.

Jonathan Doyle (20), of Glasvey Walk, Dunmurry, pleaded guilty at Craigavon Crown Court to three counts of arson on September 3, 2013, at Pembroke Loop in west Belfast.

The blaze at the Colin Glen centre in Dunmurry was reported at around 4am. The complex comprised of a taxi office, a beauty parlour and a Nisa convenience store, which were extensively damaged during the attack.

No details of the arson attack were given in court. However, at the time police said it was believed rubbish had been stacked up against the front of the properties and set alight.

A defence lawyer told Judge Patrick Lynch QC that the pleas of guilty were "being entered on the basis of recklessness rather than with intent''.

Judge Lynch adjourned sentencing until September.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph