Man hit by car he was allegedly trying to hijack back in court charged with attempting to seize control of a bus
A man hit by a car he was allegedly trying to hijack appeared back in court today charged with attempting to seize control of a bus.
Kenneth Colwell, 23, is now accused of targeting the Translink service and a second motorist on the same day in Belfast.
The two new attempted hijacking charges were brought against him after police mounted a media appeal over events in the North Street area.
Colwell, of Forthriver Link in the city, was detained following the incident on March 23.
Belfast Magistrates' Court heard previously that he allegedly stepped out onto the road, apparently brandishing some sort of fake weapon.
CCTV footage was said to show him being struck despite the driver of the car trying to swerve round him.
A judge was told he later allegedly shouted abuse and threats at police and medical staff trying to treat him at the Royal Victoria Hospital.
At one stage Colwell allegedly threw a shoe at one doctor on the ward.
He was originally charged with one count of attempted hijacking, along with disorderly behaviour.
But the PSNI confirmed at the time that a media appeal resulted in a bus driver and female motorist coming forward with similar complaints.
As a result Colwell has now been charged with two further attempted hijackings of a Translink vehicle and a Ford Focus on the same date.
Once again he appeared in the dock at Belfast Magistrates' Court on crutches to be connected to the new alleged offences.
A defence lawyer confirmed bail was not being sought.
District Judge Fiona Bagnall remanded Colwell in custody to appear again by video-link on May 26.
Belfast Telegraph Digital