Man in court accused of machete attack during attempted cash robbery in Belfast
A 29-year-old man was remanded in custody on Wednesday accused of carrying out a machete attack during an attempted cash robbery in west Belfast.
Gareth Paul Bradley appeared before the city's Magistrates Court after being arrested in connection with the alleged assault on the Andersonstown Road on Monday.
The victim, a 30-year-old man, was taken to hospital for treatment to a hand wound and facial bruising.
Bradley, of St James Parade in Belfast, faces charges of causing grievous bodily harm with intent, possessing an offensive weapon with intent to commit an indictable offence, and attempted robbery.
He nodded to confirm that he understood the allegations against him.
A detective constable said he could connect the accused to the charges.
Bradley was also in court for a scheduled preliminary enquiry into a separate alleged attack on another man slashed with a knife at a west Belfast filling station in June last year.
He was returned for trial on charges of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and possessing an offensive weapon in public over that incident.
Defence solicitor Eoghan McKenna said that case was on the court list purely by coincidence.
Due to the new charges Mr McKenna confirmed he was not seeking to have his client re-admitted to bail at this stage.
Bradley was instead remanded in custody until a future application is mounted.