Belfast Telegraph

Man is found dead in Derry after chip pan fire at his home

By Amanda Ferguson

A man has died following a chip pan fire at his Londonderry home, which had no smoke alarms.

The man, in his 40s, was found dead in the living room of his house in the Upper Bennett Street area yesterday morning.

Last night a spokesman for the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service told the Belfast Telegraph the fire was accidental.

It was caused when a chip pan caught alight.

No smoke alarms were fitted in the property.

Station commander Jonathan Tate said: "On our arrival the fire was out and we had no action to take.

"Unfortunately a deceased male was found in the living room.

"The cause of the fire has been determined as accidental."

SDLP MLA for Derry Pat Ramsey said: "The very tragic death of this man in a fire is very shocking and upsetting, not only for the man's family and friends but for his neighbours and wider community.

"I would like to express my sympathies and condolences."

Sinn Fein councillor for the area Patricia Logue also expressed her sympathy to the man's family.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph