Belfast Telegraph

Man refused bail over child abuse charges

A man allegedly offered a schoolboy £1 for every second he allowed sexual abuse to continue, the High Court has heard.

The 13-year-old claims he was molested in a bus shelter as he travelled with the accused to see relatives.

His alleged abuser, a 58-year-old man, cannot be identified for legal reasons.

He faces charges of sexual activity with a child, inciting a child to engage in sexual activity, and breach of a sexual offences prevention order.

The alleged offences were committed on May 6, but were only reported to police earlier this month.

Opposing an application for bail, prosecuting counsel Barry Valentine said the accused drove the boy from a caravan park in Co Down. The pair were travelling to an address in Co Armagh, but stopped off at a bus shelter, the court heard.

It was alleged that the accused asked the boy to show his private parts and offered to give him £1 for every second he let him look at them.

Following his arrest the accused denied the abuse, claiming he was with his ex-wife that day. But the court was told his alibi related to a later date.

Defence counsel Joel Lindsay cited the five month delay in making a complaint as a possible reason for his client mixing up dates.

Bail was refused due to concerns about any further offences being committed.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph