Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Man released in Belfast Traveller murder investigation

Published 13/04/2016

Police at the scene after a man was shot in the head as he sat in a car in the Shaw’s Road area of west Belfast.
Police at the scene after a man was shot in the head as he sat in a car in the Shaw’s Road area of west Belfast.

A man arrested as part of an investigation into the attempted murder of a member of the Travelling community last November has been released.

The 42-year-old was detained in the Craigavon area yesterday morning.

He was taken into custody at Musgrave police station in Belfast for questioning.

He was later released on police bail following further investigation.

It follows the shooting of Martin Gavin, near a school at Rossnareen Avenue in west Belfast on November 19.

The victim was shot in the back of the head outside his house, leaving him in a critical condition. His partner was in the driver's seat and immediately drove off in the car in a bid to escape.

Last month, police said they believed that two men had come out of a vacant house wearing high-visibility jackets. They said one approached the victim's car and opened fire with what was believed to have been a shotgun, before making off in a silver Honda Civic.

Two men, aged 18 and 50, have already appeared in court in connection with the investigation.

A week after the shooting, a dissident republican gunman opened fire on a police car guarding the scene.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph