Belfast Telegraph

Man 'stole burgers during night raid on fast-food unit'

A man accused of stealing burgers in a nighttime raid on a mobile fast-food unit must remain in custody, a High Court judge ruled today.

Philip Hedley was refused bail after prosecutors revealed the break-in caused £1,000 worth of damage.

Concerns were also raised about potential interference with a witness in the case.

Hedley (30) of Ballyholme Road, Bangor, is charged with burglary and theft from a portable grill bar in Newtownards.

He was arrested with another man close to the scene at Jubilee Road on February 7.

Police observed the pair quickening their pace before the co-accused was spotted throwing items away, the court heard.

Cash, loose change and a bag of frozen meat was recovered nearby.

David McClean, prosecuting, said the unit's serving hatch had been forced open by the raiders.

"The owner indicated there had been burgers stolen, £30 in coins, a £5 note and change," he said.

A bag of sausages had also been taken from the freezer.

Hedley denied involvement in the burglary, telling police he was going to buy beer when stopped.

Mr McClean raised concern about possible witness interference based on a comment the accused allegedly made.

Defence counsel downplayed the remark and argued that the case against Hedley was coincidental and circumstantial.

"There's no evidence linking him, apart from being with the co-accused," he added.

Mr Justice Deeny was told the case is expected to go to trial at the Crown Court.

Refusing bail due to the risk of re-offending, the judge said: "Burglaries are to be viewed with gravity, certainly they are viewed with gravity by the victims."

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph