Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Man who died at house where paramedics suffered CO poisoning named

Published 01/05/2016

Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service attended the property in County Down where high levels of carbon monoxide were detected
Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service attended the property in County Down where high levels of carbon monoxide were detected

A man who died at a house in County Down where paramedics suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning has been named locally as William Stockdale.

The victim, 60, was found dead at the property on the Castlewellan Road in Newcastle on Friday night . Five people including two paramedics were taken to hospital.

The Health and Safety Executive of Northern Ireland has said it is aware of the death.

The Northern Ireland Ambulance Service (NIAS) said crews became unwell while attending the scene. Four ambulances were sent.

Five people received treatment at the Ulster Hospital in Dundonald and were later discharged.

The team was responding to the incident when members developed symptoms, the NIAS said.

Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) was called to the property where high levels of the toxic gas were detected.

The paramedics, with the help of NIFRS, treated themselves and the three others with oxygen while four additional ambulances were sent to the scene.

Last year an elderly couple were found dead from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at their mobile home on a caravan site in Newcastle.

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph