Published 14/07/2012 | 00:00
The director of public prosecutions (DPP) in Mauritius has suggested another investigation will be launched into the murder of honeymooner Michaela McAreavey.
Satyajit Boolell said authorities would not let the matter rest following the acquittal of two hotel workers of the woman's killing.
"We are now faced with the stark reality of a murder having been committed and no one being accountable for it so far," said Mr Boolell.
"We have already hinted for the investigation to be reopened, for further investigations to be carried out."
The DPP described the verdict on Thursday as unexpected but defended the Mauritian police investigation.
He told RTE there was ample evidence to reopen the investigation and that his office was convinced a conviction for the Co Tyrone woman's murder would be secured.
Sandip Moneea and Avinash Treebhoowoon were cleared of the 27-year-old's killing by a jury at the Supreme Court in Port Louis.
The nine jurors took just over two hours to find both men not guilty of the murder in the luxury Legends hotel where the victim and her husband John McAreavey were honeymooning in January last year.
Mrs McAreavey was the daughter of Tyrone gaelic football manager Mickey Harte.
The teacher was found dead in the bathtub of her deluxe room shortly after lunching with her husband at a poolside restaurant.