Belfast Telegraph

McGurk's Bar bombing: families to sue Government

BY CLAIRE WILLIAMSON

The families of 15 people killed in the McGurk's Bar bombing more than 40 years ago are to take legal action against the Government.

The McGurk's Bar attack in north Belfast was carried out by the UVF in December 1971.

The case was recently reopened by the PSNI following a critical report into the original RUC murder investigation.

A solicitor for the nine families who lost relatives in the atrocity said they had been "treated disgracefully by the State for over 40 years".

The IRA was blamed by the security forces for the placing of the bomb in the immediate aftermath of the attack.

The Police Ombudsman published a report in February 2011, claiming the original RUC police investigation was "biased".

Solicitor Kevin Winters said the families were suing the Government and its agencies at the High Court over "deliberate misinformation spread by the authorities both in the immediate aftermath of the killings and for many years thereafter".

He added: "In the absence of a meaningful response from the Chief Constable to the Ombudsman's findings and in the continued police denial that 'investigative bias' did take place, the families have been left with little choice but to proceed with this litigation."

A 69-year-old man recently arrested in connection with the attack was released unconditionally on Wednesday.

One man was convicted of all 15 murders in 1978.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph