Mum's horror over discarded needles
The mother of a nine-year-old girl has spoken of her horror after her daughter came home with syringe needles thought to have been abandoned by drug addicts.
Kimberley Faulkner's daughter Madison was told to stay away from the park, but found the needles near a garden yards from her Yukon Street home.
Mrs Faulkner told the BBC: “You tell your child things like don't talk to strangers, but you never think of saying if you find needles on the ground don't pick them up. I was shaking from head to toe. I just didn't know what to do. My heart was in my mouth.”
Four children have recently been taken to hospital after finding needles in east Belfast.
One boy suffered a needle jab as he and his three friends climbed a tree near a park. William Abraham (11) had to be inoculated against hepatitis as a precaution.
His grandmother Deborah Lynas said the family now faced months of uncertainty.