Belfast Telegraph

Murder investigation launched as baby loses fight for life

A murder investigation has been launched after a baby who was critically injured in an incident at its east Belfast home last month died.

The child was rushed to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Belfast, where it was receiving treatment, after medical teams were called to a house in the Connsbrook Avenue area on March 7.

Forensic officers examined the scene and the child's mother was arrested and detained under the Mental Health Act.

A police spokesperson yesterday confirmed that following the death of the child, a murder investigation had commenced, adding that they would be continuing their inquiries.

It is thought that the woman, who is believed to be a foreign national, lived at the premises for around a year but was not well known to neighbours.

East Belfast UUP councillor Jim Rodgers said that the news would come as a "great distress, annoyance and concern" for local residents.

"On hearing today about the death of a young baby and that it is being treated as murder is terribly sad," he said. "My thoughts go out to the whole wider family circle at this time.

"Disregarding the circumstances, the death of any child is a terrible tragedy and the family will need all the support they can get. Having spoken to residents, I know that at the time, they knew little or nothing about the house in question."

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph