Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Murder probe launched over death of man (69) in Ballymena- three arrests

By Lesley Houston

Published 29/04/2015

Police have confirmed they are treating the death of a 69-year-old man in Ballymena yesterday afternoon as murder.

Two men and one woman have been arrested as part of an investigation into the man's death following what police described as an altercation in the Drumtara area of the town.

They remain in police custody.

Detectives from the PSNI's Serious Crime Branch said the trio were helping police with their inquiries at Antrim's Serious Crime Branch

Detective Chief Inspector Alan Dickson last night appealed for anyone with information to contact police.

He called on anyone who was in the Drumtara estate and may have witnessed the incident to contact them.

Mr Dickson said police were particularly keen to hear from anyone who had been in the estate at any point from Sunday night until teatime yesterday.

Local councillor Declan O'Loan last night extended his sympathy to the dead man's family.

"I'm very sorry to hear about the serious incident which has led to a man's death," Mr O'Loan said.

The veteran SDLP representative in Ballymena added: "I extend my sympathy to the family of the man involved.

"I would urge anyone with information to contact the police."

Witnesses were asked to call the non-emergency line, 101.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph