Belfast Telegraph

Neighbours in shock as Chinese mum and baby hounded from Belfast home by racists

By Staff Reporter

A Chinese woman and her baby have fled their home after an attempted petrol bomb attack.

The incident in the Windsor area of south Belfast followed two other hate crimes in the nearby Village area.

The front window of the woman's house on Ebor Street was smashed but the petrol bomb, which failed to ignite, did not make it into the living room.

Too traumatised to speak of her ordeal, she was being relocated by the Housing Executive on Wednesday afternoon.

Neighbours condemned the attack and said whoever was responsible did not represent the majority of residents.

"I was very shocked to hear what had happened," said one woman. "She is a quiet girl who keeps herself to herself. You heard about so many of these things happening in east Belfast, and we definitely don't want to see it happening here."

She added: "I hope it was kids who should know better. This is a quiet street and what happened is not typical of people here. It is always good to see the police about but not when it is for something specific like this."

Another long-term resident said: "That wee Chinese girl and her baby have been living quietly here keeping themselves to themselves. It is terrible she feels she has to go."

PSNI Chief Inspector Robert Murdie condemned the incident and said the pair could have been killed or seriously injured.

He said the petrol bomb had been seized for forensic examination.

"Shortly after 9.30pm on Tuesday, a resident in the Ebor Street area reported that a masked individual had attempted to smash the front window of the property with a petrol bomb," he said.

"The petrol bomb failed to ignite but the outer pane of glass in the property was smashed during the incident.

"I would appeal to anyone who may have witnessed a masked individual or someone acting suspiciously in the area to contact detectives at Musgrave. Alternatively, information can be provided anonymously to independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."

In a similar type of incident, shortly after midnight on Monday, two ground-floor windows and one upstairs window were smashed at a house on Monarch Parade in south Belfast. Graffiti reading 'Scum out locals only' was daubed on the door.

Police are also appealing for information on an incident of criminal damage to a vacant property in Lower Rockview Street, thought to have occurred on Sunday evening.

Background

The hate crimes in south Belfast follow on from a spate of racist attacks carried out in east Belfast, directed mainly at Polish and Romanian immigrants. In one of the worst cases, a young Romanian man was showered with a bag of excrement. A gang also carried out a series of racist attacks in north Belfast in September.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph