Belfast Telegraph

Nelson Cheung murder: Community in fear after brutal killing of takeaway owner

By Rebecca Black

The Chinese community in Northern Ireland has been left distressed by the brutal murder of business owner Nelson Cheung.

The 65-year-old and his wife Winnie were subjected to a terrifying ordeal on Wednesday night.

They had been driving home to Ballymena from their takeaway business, the Double Value in Randalstown, when their car was forced off the road by two other cars.

Father-of-four Mr Cheung was stabbed and his wife assaulted before the assailants fled with cash.

A 31-year-old woman and 29-year-old man were arrested on Thursday. They were released unconditionally last night. A 30-year-old man arrested yesterday remains in custody.

Mrs Cheung underwent surgery in Antrim Area Hospital.

PSNI Detective Chief Inspector Eamonn Corrigan said she had been left "anguished". "Mr Cheung was a well-liked and well-known man who ran a Chinese restaurant in Randalstown," he said.

"He was a father-of-four and husband to Winnie, who was injured. Mrs Cheung has been released from hospital but is understandably anguished following the murder of her husband."

Mr Corrigan said the PSNI investigation was continuing into the murder and appealed for information.

"My thoughts and the thoughts of my investigative team are with the Cheung family," he said.

Patrick Yu, director of the Northern Ireland Council for Ethnic Minorities, said the murder had caused serious concern within the local Chinese community, and among business owners in particular. "This has sparked fear in the Chinese community after the attacks that had been taking place previously," he said.

"Back then many Chinese business owners were targeted as they returned from work for money.

"Sometimes their children were even tortured to force them to hand over their takings."

Mr Yu said the attacks had been carried out by a gang at locations across Northern Ireland, where thieves waited outside Chinese takeaways for their owners to leave and followed them home.

He added: "The brutality of this attack has really scared people."

Carrickfergus businessman Simon Tang was murdered in June 1996 after leaving his takeaway business. His watch and takings were stolen.

Chinese takeaway owner slain by robbery gang in front of his wife 

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph