Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

New searches in Lisa Dorrian murder hunt fail to find remains

Published 22/02/2016

Lisa Dorrian has been missing since February 2005 (PSNI/PA)
Lisa Dorrian has been missing since February 2005 (PSNI/PA)
Police have been undertaking fresh searches for the body of Lisa Dorrian, who disappeared almost 11 years ago (PSNI)

Fresh searches for the body of a missing hairdresser who disappeared 11 years ago have failed to locate her remains, police said.

Detectives examining land near Comber, Co Down, for Lisa Dorrian said they had recovered some items from the area that had been taken away for forensic examination.

Ms Dorrian, 25, from Bangor, Co Down, vanished after a party on a caravan site 20 miles away in the coastal village of Ballyhalbert on the Ards peninsula on February 28 2005.

Police believe she was murdered.

Despite a series of arrests, the identification of around 4,000 potential witnesses and more than 275 searches, no-one has been brought to justice.

Detectives from the Police Service of Northern Ireland's serious crime branch conducted searches on land outside Comber over the last week.

Detective Chief Inspector Justyn Galloway said: "Our inquiries are continuing. We would again appeal to those individuals who know what happened to Lisa to provide that information.

"This would enable Lisa's family to have some degree of closure as they face another anniversary of her disappearance in the coming days without the answers they so desperately crave and deserve."

Ms Dorrian's mother Pat died in December without ever finding out what happened to her daughter.

Mrs Dorrian, 59, and her husband John led a decade-long quest to find her remains.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph