Ninth man in court to face Twelfth riot charges
A north Belfast man has become the ninth person to be charged in relation to the Twelfth riots in Ardoyne.
Dean Travers of Ardoyne Road appeared at Belfast Magistrate’s Court on Saturday to face charges of riotous assembly and making a provocative gesture.
The court heard that the 21-year-old unemployed man had allegedly thrown bricks in the direction of loyalists on July 12.
Cops added that Travers had also been captured on video and in photos shouting and making provocative gestures.
A PSNI constable revealed that Travers had appeared in court on four previous occasions in recent months on charges including disorderly behaviour.
Police said that they opposed bail due to his record, the fear of further offending and because of the “volatile” atmosphere in the area.
The defence for Travers said that he had “consumed a large amount” of lager.
“He had never been involved in any of the Ardoyne shop-front trouble before,” added his solicitor. “He went down (to the area) ... and got carried away.”
Travers’ solicitor claimed the accused had thrown two stones — not bricks as was claimed by police — and that no-one had been hurt.
Commenting on the case, District Judge Conner said: “The starting point is that those who engage in rioting must expect custodial sentences.”
He remanded Travers in custody, to appear in court by videolink on August 16.