'No phone, no bail' - Teen accused over Lesley-ann McCarragher hit-and-run death refused bail until he hands over mobile to police
A teenager accused of killing a 19-year-old girl in a hit-and-run has been remanded in custody until he hands over his mobile phone to police.
The 17-year-old appeared before Newry Magistrate's Court on Monday charged with causing the death of Lesley-ann McCarragher through dangerous driving following the incident in Co Armagh on Saturday.
Ms McCarragher was struck by a car while jogging on the Monaghan Road close to her Co Armagh family home.
A detective sergeant told the court that the car involved in the collision had been bought the previous day by the defendant, who cannot be named for legal reasons.
However, the defendant told police that he had sold the car to two men 45 minutes before the incident.
The court also heard that the youth had refused to hand over his mobile phone to police. Officers believe he had contacted the previous owner of the car asking her to say she had sold the car to "foreigners".
The District Judge told the teenager that he would not release him on bail until he surrendered his phone.
"No phone, no bail," he told him.
The teenager's lawyer said that a family member was going to locate the phone and hand it in to officers.
The judge said the boy could be released on bail as soon as police were in possession of his phone.
Belfast Telegraph Digital