Belfast Telegraph

Northern Ireland school issues warning after 'threatening approach' - student 'very distressed'

By Claire Williamson

A Northern Ireland school has issued a warning following a "threatening approach" to a student.

Bangor Academy and Sixth Form College issued the warning to students and parents after the incident was reported on Thursday morning.

The school said: "There has been a report that one of our students was approached in a threatening manner by a stranger in the Whitehill area.

"Police have been informed. Please can you remind your children of the importance of personal safety and report any suspicious behaviour.

"If you have any concerns please contact me as soon as possible."

Principal Mr Matthew Pitts told the Belfast Telegraph he has spoken to the parents of the student who was "very distressed".

He said: "The student got away and ran off which is the most important thing."

Mr Pitts said the school posted the warning to ensure students are not "complacent" about their safety.

The PSNI has been contacted for comment.

Last year there were a series of warnings issued from Bangor schools over "inappropriate approaches".

In one incident a driver attempted to entice a boy from Bangor Academy into his car - he refused and the driver made off.

Read more: PSNI visit Northern Ireland school to warn of stranger danger after pupil witnesses 'inappropriate behaviour'

Read more: Driver attempts to entice Bangor schoolboy with lift 

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph