Belfast Telegraph

OAP fears for her life after family feud gun attack

BY CLAIRE WILLIAMSON

A pensioner is living in fear after a gun attack on her home which she said is part of an ongoing family feud.

Four shots were fired through the kitchen window of Dinah Henry's house on Eliza Street Terrace in the Markets area of Belfast on Sunday evening.

The frightened 66-year-old has said it's not the first attack on her home which she believes was a murder attempt on her sons and grandchildren.

"One of my sons was able to make his way out but my other son froze, he couldn't speak," Dinah said.

At one point Ms Henry thought her son was dead and it is understood that her 15-year-old grandson was also in the house during the attack.

"He said 'you'll be okay Granny, you'll be okay'. And I still didn't know if my other son was murdered or not for it took him a long long time to answer," the mother of six said. The family escaped without injury but the visibly upset Ms Henry said that she no longer wants to live there.

"We fear for our lives. We fear every day and every night for our lives.

"I don't want to live here any more. I am very, very frightened."

She continued: "I don't want to be burying any of my children, no parent should live to see that.

"I don't want to live like this, it's not a way to live," she added.

Fighting back tears as she spoke from her south Belfast home, the grandmother issued a plea to those responsible for the attack.

"Please stop, from the bottom of my heart, I'm begging you to stop before someone is dead.

"I just want to live in peace."

The attack comes just one day after 50 people were evacuated from their homes in the Markets area as Army bomb disposal teams examined a suspicious object.

It was later declared an elaborate hoax.

Also on Sunday, at around 11.20pm there were shots fired in the Carnbane Gardens area of Newry. The house was vacant at the time and there were no reports of any injuries.

Belfast SDLP councillor Pat McCarthy said: "This is a worrying development that within the space of a weekend we have an elaborate hoax bomb attack and then a gun attack."

STORY SO FAR

Dinah Henry (66) and family members escaped injury after a gun attack on her home in south Belfast. Four shots were fired through the kitchen window of her house on Eliza Street Terrace in the Markets area on Sunday evening. The frightened 66-year-old has said the attack is part of an ongoing family dispute and has made an emotional plea for those responsible to "please stop".

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph