Occupy QUB Fossil Free protesters end sit in at Queen's University
Students who occupied part of Queen's University in a bid to force the institution to drop its fossil fuels investments have ended their protest.
Fossil Free QUB, lodged in the university's administration building and said they would remain "indefinitely" until the university pledged to ends it investment in fossil fuels.
The campaign gathered wide-spread support.
Today, the group announced an end to its protest and issued a joint statement from itself and Queen's.
The university said it would "comprehensively review" its investment policy by June 2016.
The joint statement said: "After a constructive meeting with Senior Management, Fossil Free QUB has agreed to end their sit-in and occupation of the Administration Building. Queen’s University Belfast and the Students’ Union, in a joint statement, agreed the following:-
1. Queen’s University Belfast and QUB Students’ Union are committed to the development of a socially responsible investment policy that represents best practice, is consistent with Vision 2020 and the University’s Carbon Management Plan, and will underpin investment decisions made by the University.
2. This will involve a comprehensive review of the University’s current Investment Policy, engaging all relevant stakeholders in this process, including the Students’ Union and Fossil Free QUB.
3. A timetable for completion of the review has been agreed, with recommendations on any proposed policy changes scheduled to come to Senate, the Governing Body, on 21 June 2016.
4. The objective of this comprehensive review, to include the consideration of indirect investment in Fossil Fuels, is to ensure that the University’s Investment Policy is aligned with best practice in the area of “Socially Responsible Investment” and with the University’s vision.
5. The University reaffirms its policy of not holding direct equity investments, including in fossil fuels related companies.
6. The review, involving all relevant stakeholders, including the Students’ Union and Fossil Free QUB, will take due account of the outcomes of the recent COP 21 Paris Agreement.