Belfast Telegraph

Omagh bombing accused Seamus Daly was 'living under the radar' for five years

BY ALAN ERWIN

A high-profile republican accused of murdering 29 people in the Omagh bomb atrocity was being sought by police for five years, the High Court has heard.

Seamus Daly was living "under the radar" close to the border before being arrested at a shopping centre car park in Newry, Co Down, prosecutors claimed.

As he was refused bail it was confirmed that charges were brought based on a review of available evidence rather than any new material.

The case against him centres on telephone analysis allegedly linking him to the outrage.

A former business associate who says he spoke to him on a mobile believed to have been used by the bomb team is a "pivotal" prosecution witness, a judge was told.

Daly faces 29 counts of murder over the August 1998 Real IRA attack.

The 43-year-old bricklayer, originally from Cullaville, Co Monaghan, but now residing in Jonesborough, Co Armagh, also faces counts of causing the explosion in Omagh and possession of a bomb in the Co Tyrone market town with intent to endanger life or property.

He is further charged with conspiring to cause an explosion and having explosives with intent in connection with a separate dissident bomb plot in Lisburn, Co Down, in April that year.

Daly has already been found liable for the bombing in a landmark civil action taken by victims' families. The court heard that a man named Denis O'Connor claims Daly phoned him on the day of the attack using a mobile suspected of having travelled into Omagh on the bomb run. Cell-site analysis also allegedly links him to the earlier bomb incident at Lisburn involving a similar modus operandi and warnings.

Asked by the judge if the information was new, prosecution counsel Kate McKay confirmed it was already known to police.

She contended, however, that there have been difficulties in locating Daly before he was detained on April 7. He gave police a false name – believed to be that of his brother – and incorrect address.

Opposing bail, Mrs McKay claimed the chance to arrest him only emerged when he left his home. "Police believe he has been residing in that address almost keeping under the radar," she said.

Questioned on how long detectives had been looking for him, she replied: "Police would say in the region of five years."

Defence counsel Dermot Fee QC argued that the case against his client is too weak for criminal charges.

Mr Justice Treacy refused bail due to the risks the accused may commit other serious offences or flee.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph