Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Pair 'transported petrol bombs thrown at police'

By Alan Erwin

Published 12/08/2015

Two men transported a crate of petrol bombs for rioting youths as young as 12 to attack police with, a court heard yesterday
Two men transported a crate of petrol bombs for rioting youths as young as 12 to attack police with, a court heard yesterday

Two men transported a crate of petrol bombs for rioting youths as young as 12 to attack police with, a court heard yesterday.

David Campbell (21) and Brian Millar (24) were arrested after a PSNI helicopter captured footage of a batch of incendiary devices being lifted out of a car in north Belfast, a judge was told.

Nine officers were injured as police came under attack following a republican anti-internment parade on Sunday.

A 60-strong crowd was involved in violence that broke out an hour after the march was stopped at the corner of the Oldpark Road and Rosapenna Street for breaching a Parades Commission determination over its timing.

Bricks, missiles and petrol bombs were fired at police lines during the disorder.

Campbell, of Clyde Court, and Millar, from Beechfield Street - both in Belfast - are jointly charged with aiding and abetting the throwing of petrol bombs and possessing the devices in suspicious circumstances.

As they appeared before the city's Magistrates Court, a police constable opposed their bids to be released from custody.

She claimed they were both in a car followed by the PSNI helicopter as it travelled close to the scene of the trouble.

A crate of petrol bombs covered by a bin liner was taken from the vehicle, the court heard.

The constable said: "Youths as young as 12 were observed lifting the bottles... and running out of the alleyway which took them to the area where petrol bombs were thrown at police."

The car was stopped about 15 minutes later on the Cliftonville Road.

Police claim Millar had been driving and Campbell was his passenger when the petrol bombs were delivered.

As part of her objection to bail, the constable added: "Some of that footage has been shown on social media, and it gives concern that people so young were involved in this."

District Judge Fiona Bagnall was told Campbell had a clear criminal record and is due to start a civil engineering degree course at the Ulster University next month.

Relatives of the two accused packed into the public gallery to offer their support during the hearing.

Granting bail to both, Mrs Bagnall ordered them to be excluded from areas of Belfast.

Campbell is to stay with family members in Downpatrick, while Millar must reside in Newcastle, Co Down. They have been banned from being within 500 metres of any parade, protest or demonstration, and must have no contact with each other.

Night-time curfews and electronic tagging were also imposed as part of the release conditions.

Both men are due back in court next month.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph