Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Passerby 'vital' in Belfast fire rescue

Man in his 50s hospitalised after incident

Published 06/11/2015

Fire service is treating the blaze as accidental.
Fire service is treating the blaze as accidental.

A passerby has been hailed as vital in the rescue of two people from a fire in south Belfast.

The fire broke out in flats at the Donegall Pass area at around 5.30pm on Thursday.

Firefighters rescued a man in his 50s from a first floor flat and was taken to the hospital for his injuries.

A woman in her 40s was brought to safety from a second floor flat and was treated at the scene by paramedics.

Two other residents were able to escape the building themselves.

The fire service said because of the early alert by a passerby who heard the smoke alarm, firefighters were provided with a "window of opportunity", which allowed for the rescue of the residents.

They are treating the fire as accidental.

Eastern Area Commander Lenny Entwistle said: “The importance of a working smoke alarm played a vital part in a positive outcome regarding this incident.

"Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service would ask all members of the local community to check they have working smoke alarms inside their property.”

Online Editors

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph