Belfast Telegraph

Petrol bomb attack on baby house

A petrol bomb was thrown at a house in South Belfast in a suspected hate crime which could have killed a baby, police said.

A mother of Chinese background and infant were in the property at Ebor Street and she is believed to have been targeted because of her nationality.

A masked individual attempted to smash the front window with the device but it failed to ignite.

PSNI chief inspector Robert Murdie said: "This incident had the potential to kill or seriously injure and has to be condemned.

"We live in a democratic society and seeking to harm individuals in this way is not acceptable."

The outer pane of glass was broken during the attack on Tuesday evening.

Two separate reports of hate crime-related criminal damage were also received by police.

One in Lower Rockview Street may have taken place on the Sunday evening. Two windows were smashed and graffiti daubed on the vacant property. Tenants were scheduled to move in, police said.

In a similar type of incident, shortly after midnight on Monday, residents at a property in the Monarch Parade area reported that two ground floor windows and one upstairs window had been shattered and graffiti daubed on the front door.

Detectives appealed for anybody with information about the incidents to contact them.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph