Pipe-bomb accused Sean Megaw to be tagged during bail
A 27-year-old man accused of having a pipe-bomb which was seized during a police operation in west Belfast last year has been granted bail.
Saying that he was releasing Sean Megaw with "some reservation", Judge Gordon Kerr told the accused he must adhere to a number of strict conditions, which included being tagged.
Megaw, a father-of-two from Mount Eagles Square in Dunmurry, was one of two men arrested during the police operation in the Lagmore area of west Belfast in January 2014.
The duo were arrested following the discovery of a pipe-bomb and were subsequently charged with possessing explosives with intent to endanger life, and possessing explosives under suspicious circumstances, on January 31, 2014.
Both Megaw and co-acccused Sean Gerard Ruddy (29), from Burren Meadow in Newcastle, have denied the charges and are due to stand trial later this year.
Crown prosecutor Kate McKay told Belfast Crown Court that Ruddy was granted bail in April of this year. She said that police had concerns about releasing Megaw on bail because of a previous conviction for a similar offence.
Pointing out that Megaw has been in custody since his arrest, defence barrister Joe Brolly said Megaw "was not associating with any paramilitaries in prison" and was on remand "in the normal prison population" as opposed to the dissident wing.
Telling Judge Kerr there was "no suggestion" Megaw was a flight risk, Mr Brolly asked that he be bailed to live in his girlfriend's house in the Donegall Road area of Belfast. Judge Kerr also ordered that he observe an 8pm to 8am curfew and report to police daily.