Police release man arrested over Belfast shooting of teenager
A man arrested over a paramilitary-style attack on a 16-year-old boy was released unconditionally.
The 42-year-old was arrested at an address in west Belfast on Friday evening.
He was being questioned in connection with the shooting at Aitnamona Crescent on December 18.
A 16-year-old was taken to hospital after being shot in both legs.
On Saturday police said the man had been released unconditionally.
Speaking to UTV earlier in the week, the teenager’s family said that he is now in hiding after being told he must leave the country.
His grandfather also revealed harrowing details of the attack on the teenager.
He described how the teen had been ordered to come to a green patch in the middle of a housing estate last Sunday evening.
He was lying on his stomach when he was shot in both legs, and was found by chance by a pensioner who heard him moaning in pain.
His grandfather quickly found out what had happened and rushed to help him.
He said: “It broke my heart to see a child, 16 years old, getting shot.”
The teenager is now out of hospital but has suffered injuries which are potentially life-changing, according to his family.