Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Pub bombs families won't snub inquests despite funding row

By Richard Vernalls

Published 24/11/2016

Julie Hambleton lost her sister Maxine in the IRA Birmingham pub bombings
Julie Hambleton lost her sister Maxine in the IRA Birmingham pub bombings

Lawyers for the Birmingham pub bombings families have dropped a threat to boycott the inquests.

Solicitors representing some of the relatives of the 21 people killed in the double blasts will go before coroner Peter Thornton QC when he gets the hearings under way next Monday.

The families had previously warned of a boycott, saying their seats at the hearing could have been left empty over a continuing row about legal funding.

Belfast-based KRW Law claims it is being "blocked" and "bounced into an agreement" by the Government because of how existing funding rules governing the families' legal representation at the forthcoming inquests are being applied.

The firm, representing eight of the bereaved families, has been acting free of charge for two years.

During that time the relatives won a complex legal bid to have fresh inquests into the deaths of those killed in IRA explosions at The Mulberry Bush and The Tavern In The Town on November 21, 1974.

The lawyers have said they cannot continue to work pro bono with preliminary legal hearings looming on November 28.

The families' legal team have claimed they are facing the prospect of sifting through thousands of pieces of evidence stretching back decades during months of hearings, while the Government agencies and police in the case can rely on taxpayer-funded barristers.

West Midlands Police have already set aside £1m to cover their legal costs, which the relatives have claimed shows an unequal approach.

Julie Hambleton, who heads the Justice4the21 campaign group and lost her sister Maxine in the attacks, claims the Government has treated the families "like second-class citizens".

The families wanted a Hillsborough inquests-type model of funding for the hearings.

But the Government rejected that approach and encouraged the families to apply through the Legal Aid Agency instead.

However, an issue has arisen because the relatives' lawyers are a Northern Ireland-based firm and the Coroner's Court sits in a different legal jurisdiction.

The Government has said it is "committed to continuing to work with the families" to solve the problem.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph