Pub crawl boss refuses to apologise
The organiser of a Majorca pub crawl which last week saw a teenage girl from Northern Ireland perform sex acts on 24 men in public has refused to apologise for the stunt.
The 18-year-old, from County Armagh, was filmed while on the Carnage pub crawl in the popular resort of Magaluf, with footage appearing on social media sites.
Paul Smith, head of Carnage Events Magaluf, today claimed he was not fully aware of what was happening and admitted that he should have been more in control.
But he refused to apologise to the girl's family, telling 5 News: "I've made mistakes, I'm human and I'm here to rectify them and make sure this doesn't happen again, (but) why should I apologise?
"What have I done wrong? I've made mistakes but I wasn't the one who forced her to get to the floor.
"I'm not going to apologise to the family - I'm sorry."
Mr Smith said he had been disgusted by the video but denied that people heard egging the girl on were his reps.
"I was disgusted by it - disgusted by the young lady doing it," he said.
"I can't say that my reps encouraged that because that's not what happened.
"She should be spoken to by her parents. Is it something to do with upbringing?
"I feel sorry for the girl but Carnage never forced her to do what she did, as you can see in the video there was no one there holding her or forcing her, nothing like that."
Meanwhile, stars from hit ITV show The Only Way is Essex who were due to appear at Carnage Magaluf events this summer said they were waiting to make a decision.
Among other Towie stars, James "Arg" Argent was still listed on the Carnage website to be at a celebrity pool party on July 18.
His spokesman, Neil Dobias, said: "We are still waiting to make a decision until we speak with the organisers following today's press conference.
"A decision will be made in the next couple of days."
A spokeswoman for the show said that she understood that other stars listed to be at the pool party on different dates in July and August were considering whether they would still attend.
Authorities on the Spanish island said they were cracking down on pub crawls on the island after last week's incident.
The mayor of Calvia, the region which includes Magaluf and five other resorts popular with Britons, said he had passed a law "giving us tighter control over the operation of pub crawl organisers".
Manuel Onieva also said a police investigation had started into last week's incident, adding that he wished to "express my total rejection and anger at the activities which were carried out in a video which is currently on the social media circuit".
Carnage Magaluf describes itself on its website as the "leader in Magaluf party entertainment".
The company advertises a three-event package for £79.99 including "barcrawl, boat party and jungle sessions".
The bar crawl is a four-nights-a-week event which includes "four hours of unlimited drinking, four hours of unlimited free shots and a free Carnage vest/T-shirt".
Mr Onieva said today: "Companies operating pub crawls in Calvia now have to apply for a licence through the town hall. They have to prove their responsibility and show that they have the appropriate civil insurances in place.
"Each pub crawl guide will have to wear a specific jacket so local police can monitor those operating in the region and identify those that have been approved.
"Pub crawl groups can now not exceed more than 50 people and if any operators exceed this legal capacity, they will be fined."
It has been reported that the Magaluf pub crawls have around 200 British youngsters on them, including many who have just finished their A-levels.
The Calvia region, which also includes the resort of Palma Nova, is visited by between 1.6 million and 2 million visitors a year, of whom around one million are Britons.
British visits to the region are worth an estimated 800 million euros (about £640 million) a year to the local economy.