Belfast Telegraph

Public warned over dangers of monoxide poisoning from barbecues

The Health and Safety Executive is warning the public to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning from barbecues this summer.

With the increasingly sunny and hot weather outside, the body has said many people were still unaware of the dangers.

It said that  "incidents and fatalities" can also occur in caravans and on board boats where faulty gas cookers, appliances or petrol powered generators can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Monoxide deaths have also occurred when people bring gas or charcoal barbecues into tents or other small spaces.

The Health and Safety Executive's Richard Meredith said:

"We want everyone to enjoy their hard earned holidays, but all of us need to be aware that carbon monoxide can be just as deadly away from home.

"Just because you’re camping, caravanning or boating, it doesn’t mean you are free from the dangers."

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph