Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

'Raiders said they'd torch house with kids inside'

By Alan Erwin

Published 28/09/2016

Police claimed two intruders stole £1,200 worth of designer jewellery and clothes after assaulting an 18-year-old man at the house on Newforge Grange last month
Police claimed two intruders stole £1,200 worth of designer jewellery and clothes after assaulting an 18-year-old man at the house on Newforge Grange last month

Robbers ransacked a south Belfast home and threatened to burn it down with the teenage victims inside, a court has heard.

Police claimed two intruders stole £1,200 worth of designer jewellery and clothes after assaulting an 18-year-old man at the house on Newforge Grange last month.

Details emerged as bail was refused to one of the accused.

Ruairi Padraig Walls (26), from Donegall Street in Belfast, appeared before the city's Magistrates' Court charged with robbery, burglary, threats to destroy property and threats to kill.

He also faces charges of assault, demanding cash with menaces and using force or threats to get the alleged victim to withdraw his statement.

The court heard the break-in on August 15 has had a traumatic impact on the 18-year-old, his 16-year-old sister and his girlfriend, also aged 16.

A detective claimed the man was grabbed by the scruff of the neck outside the property before the robbers went inside and trawled through the rooms.

"Several threats were made, that he would be shot and his house would be burnt down with his family in it," he alleged.

Most of the stolen items were found after searches at a house linked to another suspect, the court heard. It was also claimed that CCTV footage shows Walls and his co-accused exiting the home targeted in the robbery.

Defence counsel Luke Curran said Walls does not accept the account provided by the alleged victim.

Walls will appear again by video-link on October 25.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph