Belfast Telegraph

River Lagan search operation to resume at first light on Saturday

The search for a man who fell in the Lagan has been stood down and is to resume at dawn on Saturday.

Authorities were called to an incident at Donegall Quay in Belfast city centre at around 5pm after a man was spotted in the river.

A passerby entered the water in a rescue attempt before the emergency services arrived.

His rescue was unsuccessful and the passerby was able to safely get out of the river.

Search operations continued late into the night and the Lagan Bridge was shut to the public.

An Ambulance Service spokesman said they were called to the area at 5.10pm to a report of two people in the water.

He said the man who attempted the rescue was able to get himself out of the water and was not in need of treatment.

Paramedics remained at the scene and the Coastguard also attended.

However, at 11pm the Coastguard said the search had been stood down and would resume at first light on Saturday.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph