Belfast Telegraph

Sainsbury’s is Bangor bound

Sainsbury's will begin work next month on a new superstore on the outskirts of Bangor, it was revealed on Tuesday.

Around 350 jobs are expected from the redevelopment of Balloo retail park, with the supermarket giant as one of the anchor tenants.

Planning permission for the 60,000 sq ft Sainsbury's was granted earlier this year. It is expected to begin trading before the end of next year.

David McNellis, agency director at Lisney letting and managing agent, said the company would act as an important draw to the park.

“In a complex deal involving the re-configuration of the existing Homebase space, it is extremely satisfying to have landed Sainsbury's, who will bring a lot of additional footfall to the retail park. We will shortly be releasing the second phase, totalling 20,000 sq ft of retail,” he said.

“This will provide excellent opportunities for retailers that are complementary to Sainsbury's and Homebase, and we have already had some expressions of interest, despite the second phase having not yet been released.”

The Bank of Ireland funded the investment.

Stephen Dunlop, town centre manager at Bangor and Holywood Town Centres Ltd welcomed the announcement. He said: “I welcome the new investment in the town. I do believe Sainsbury’s will offer something extra to a town that has almost everything.

“I wish them every success with their building programme. Bangor pulls in people from Ards, the Ards Peninsula, Holywood and beyond and they will all enjoy the shopping experience that Bangor has to offer.”

UUP MLA for North Down, Leslie added: “The 350 jobs are very welcome, given the unemplyment rate. This store increases the shopping mix in the town.”

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph