Belfast Telegraph

School warning after abduction bid on girl

By John Mulgrew

The principal of a primary school has issued a warning to parents following the attempted abduction of a teenage girl.

Aiden McVey, head of St Canice’s Primary School in Dungiven, said families should “maintain a high level of vigilance for the safety of their own children” after the teenager had a lucky escape at the hands of her would-be abductor on Sunday.

It’s understood the 14-year-old had been walking close to her home in the Lackagh Park area at around 8.30pm when a man jumped out of his car and grabbed her by the arm.

The victim struggled and managed to free herself before fleeing.

According to police, her attacker had used a scarf to cover his face and was wearing a dark hooded top, gloves. He is around 5ft 10ins. They are also looking for a white Seat Ibiza driven by the assailant.

Mr McVey issued an alert letter to parents of pupils at his own school on Monday after he was contacted by the family of the 14-yera-old.

He said he felt it “appropriate to share with all families, so as to safeguard all children in our community”.

The letter advised parents to be vigilant and keep an eye out for their own children and other youngsters.

In a statement issued yesterday, Mr McVey appealed for infor

mation and advised parents who had any perceived threats to their children to contact the PSNI.

Limavady mayor Sean McGlinchey — who lives in Dungiven — said parents in the town were “extremely concerned” for the safety of their children and said it was the first incident of its kind in the area in recent years.

“It’s a cliché, I know, but it’s every parent’s nightmare,” he added.

“I would urge everyone to be cautious.

“I hope police can pick up on the information they have.

“There should be enough CCTV footage to track him down.

“But, again, I would urge caution to parents and encourage them to keep a close eye on their children.”

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph