Sean Quinn's son awarded £68k over his sacking
Sean Quinn junior has been awarded more than €95,000 (£68,200) after an employment tribunal found he had been sacked by his former employers "under the cloak of redundancy".
The son of Ireland's one-time richest man, Sean Quinn, had alleged that he was dismissed from his role as head of claims with Quinn Insurance as part of a "de-Quinning" process at the company.
In a ruling by the Republic's Employment Appeals Tribunal, published on May 20, the tribunal said the company had not acted fairly and that the dismissal had "lacked the impersonality" associated with redundancies.
The Fermanagh man's case against Quinn Insurance was brought after joint administrators were appointed following a request by the Republic's Central Bank after the financial regulator had raised concerns about the business in March 2010.
The company had argued that Mr Quinn lost his job because his post had ceased to exist.
However, Mr Quinn, who was imprisoned in 2012 for contempt of court, claimed he had his access to the company's computer system disabled and that he felt he was being "victimised".
He also alleged that he had been instructed not to attend meetings of senior management. He said he was advised to take redundancy.
The tribunal also heard testimony that at one particular meeting Michael McAteer, of administrators Grant Thornton, had identified staff members who were close with Sean Quinn jnr and advised them not to associate with him.
Mr McAteer denied the allegations, but in the tribunal said it was "not satisfied" that there was a genuine redundancy and said the claimant had been let go from the firm "under the cloak of redundancy".
"The tribunal is satisfied the respondent did not act fairly and reasonably in his dealings with the claimant," the tribunal said.