Second Belfast city centre hate attack is condemned
A second racist attack in Belfast city centre in the space of five days has been described as "disgusting" by Alliance Assembly Member Anna Lo.
The brazen attack happened in broad daylight on Saturday morning just yards from where stall trader Musa Gulusen was punched to the ground and robbed on June 11.
In the latest attack, an Asian man in his early 20s was punched in the face as he walked along Fountain Street at around 10am by a man and woman thought to be in their mid-30s.
A police spokeswoman said that the man did not require hospital treatment but was left badly shaken.
The attack came just three days after Turkish trader Mr Gulusen was left with a broken wrist after two men punched and kicked him to the ground as he worked on his stall in Royal Avenue.
He also had £120 stolen from him during the attack.
Two men were later arrested, questioned and released pending further inquiries.
At the time Mr Gulusen told the Belfast Telegraph that he had experienced racial abuse every single day of the 20 years he had been here.
South Belfast MLA Ms Lo said: "I am disgusted that yet another racist attack has taken place in Belfast.
"There is no place in our society for this type of incident.
"No one deserves to be the victim of such a crime.
"I would urge anybody with any information about this incident to contact the police immediately.
"It further highlights the need to see the urgent publication of the Racial Equality Strategy."